About Robbie Richardson - Referral Farrier
- After qualifying as a Farrier in 1975 I started my general practice in the South West of the UK.
- At the same time as building a client base I worked with veterinary practises and Exeter University concentrating on referral Surgical Work and Biomechanics.
- In 1987 I opened the Greatcombe Equine Clinic - a unique facility dedicated to a variety of referral work centred on farriery.
- After 7 years of running the Clinic I published: ‘The Horses’ Foot and Related problems’ A book for vets, farriers and owners.
- have now transformed my farriery practice of maintenance and treatment work so that it is 100% barefoot trimming.
- I have invented the ‘Rockfoot hoof gauge’ which makes it possible to identify the angle of the horn at the point of production in relation to the pedal bone.
- This in turn can produce the ‘True Dorsal wall Angle’ thus minimising strain to the dorsal wall and connected tissue, in the shod or unshod horse.
- Through my interest in nutrition I also developed ‘Rockfoot hoof powder’ a balanced combination of magnesium and calcium mixed individually for each horse.